The most popular hamster breeds
If you are planning to have a hamster, then first decide what kind of pet you need. And what are the types of such animals? Let's find out!
All hamsters belong to the subfamily of rodents, as well as the family of hamsters. The build is usually dense, the body is short and round. The paws are also short, have pronounced pads and even fingers that help the animals take and eat food. The ears are small, the muzzle may be short or oblong. The color varies from white, silver or light gray to red, brown and even almost black. A distinctive feature are cheek pouches in which hamsters can hide food.
The lifestyle is predominantly twilight or nocturnal. Many varieties dig holes, and complex, with storerooms and numerous moves. Such rodents can dwell in the steppes, in the fields in semi-deserts. They feed on seeds, grasses, grains, sometimes small insects.
The most popular hamster breeds, their names and descriptions are presented below:
- Siberian. It is also often called Russian, and is sometimes confused with Dzhungar because of some similar features. In nature, the species is found in Siberia (especially in Tuva), which is why it was given such a name. The dimensions are small, usually they do not exceed 6-8 centimeters. The color is light gray, while in winter the fur turns white, which makes the breed even more attractive. These hamsters are very active and mobile, they can dig mink, hide food. Rodents usually feed on plant foods, for example, seeds, grains, fruits or berries.
- Dzungarian hamster is considered one of the most studied and popular among breeders. The rodent has a fairly bright and cute appearance, and its dimensions do not exceed 6-8 cm. The soles of the paws are covered with hairs, a dark longitudinal line runs along the back, and this distinguishes such a rodent from many others. The main color is light gray or ocher, but in winter it becomes silver or almost white. The ears are small, the muzzle is slightly pointed, the tail is short and almost imperceptible. In nature these hamsters live in semi-deserts and steppes of Khakassia, Kazakhstan, Siberia. They feed on shoots, seeds.It is noteworthy that the “jungarians” are non-aggressive and are fairly easy to tame and even learn. And they almost do not smell, if you provide proper care.
- Roborovsky hamster is the smallest representative, its length, as a rule, does not exceed five centimeters. This pet will probably be nimble, nimble, active, but at the same time independent. In nature, rodents live in packs, so it is better to keep a pair of hamsters, one pet will probably be bored. The color is usually sandy, but there are dark blotches. The abdomen and areas near the whiskers are the brightest. A characteristic feature is the presence of a kind of eyebrows - light arcs above the eyes. Roborovsky hamsters dig shallow noki and live in them. Activity usually occurs at night after dusk.
- Common hamsters are the largest members of the family, having a body length of 30 centimeters. The tail is also quite long (about 5-8 cm), covered with a stiff short fur coat, has a thick base, and is thinned towards the end. Color includes several shades and makes the appearance bright. Thus, the back of the rodent is red, the abdomen is almost black, and on the sides and breast, you can see white spots. Paws are also light. Breed common in Europe, especially in its southern regions.Lifestyle is nocturnal, and almost all day the hamster spends in its hole, which can have several exits, numerous corridors and storerooms. In the last rodent stores stocks, the total amount of which can reach 15 kg!
- Campbell's hamster, like some others, is also considered dwarf. Feet shaggy, and in appearance rodents resemble Dzungarian breed. The coat has a dark gray or brown color, a dark but unobtrusive strip passes along the back, the abdomen is light gray. The muzzle is short, the ears are small and rounded. The character is rather difficult, since Campbell's hamsters prefer solitude and are very reluctant to contact, so it's better to watch them, not getting too close.
- Sungur hamster in the wild nature lives in the grassy steppes of Kazakhstan and Siberia. Body length can reach 7-10 centimeters. The tail of the spine is slightly arched, which creates the feeling of a small hump. Paws are covered with downy hair, and such a hamster is considered to be very footy. Cheek bags are very voluminous, well stretched. The eyes are relatively large and bulging, the nose is quite voluminous. Such a breed is not as aggressive astherefore it is worth noting the ability to taming. In addition, the pet can get on with other animals, if accustomed to them from an early age.
- Syrian - one of the most popular hamsters. In addition, it is large, because the length of its body is about 15-17 centimeters, and the weight can reach 150 grams. In nature, the species is found in Syria (it is considered the birthplace), Turkey. The breed can be both short-haired and long-haired, but in any case, the fur is very beautiful and resembles an expensive and soft fur coat. Although Syrian hamsters are mostly solitary, they get used to people quickly and willingly make contact. Such a pet can sit on its hands for a long time and play, strive for communication and attract attention. These rodents feed on plants, seeds, and sometimes insects.
- Taylor's hamster is a dwarf rodent, whose body rarely exceeds 7 centimeters. These animals live in the tall grass in the fields of Mexico, Central America. They do not dig holes, but they build nests, usually located near stones, between them, or under bushes. These hamsters eat mainly grass and seeds, but sometimes they can eat insects.Content at home is possible, in addition, this kind of tame well and gets used to people.
- The Eversmann hamster is often found in the wild nature of the Urals, Kazakhstan, the middle Volga. It is larger than the mouse, the length of the body can reach 12-13 cm, the tail is about 2-3 cm. The paws are short, the muzzle is slightly elongated and pointed. The ears have a rounded shape and small size. The tail is slightly flattened and rather wide, covered with hairs. The coat is not long, but very soft, creating a velvety feeling. The color may be reddish, sandy or pale yellow. The abdomen is different from the main tone and is light, and between the front legs there is a dark spot under the throat. The animal shows activity in the dark time of day, it feeds mainly on plants.
Choose and start a suitable pet!