How to stop diarrhea at home?
If diarrhea has caught you by surprise, and you can not get to the doctor, then start acting as soon as possible. But first find out how to quickly and effectively solve such an unpleasant and delicate problem.
Possible causes of diarrhea
The causes of diarrhea can be varied, but the most common is poisoning. So, if pathogenic microorganisms get into the intestines with the products, they will start to penetrate into the walls and strongly irritate them, to which they will respond with abbreviations (they lead to diarrhea).
But it can also be caused by an intestinal infection, such as salmonellosis, dysentery, typhoid. Another common variant is dyspeptic disturbances, that is, in other words, indigestion, which is usually a reaction to the aggressive components of foods or to excessive amounts of certain foods.
Among other causes such as chronic diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, allergic reactions, severe stress, dysbiosis, Crohn's disease,taking certain medication (eg, antibiotics), irritable bowel syndrome, and others.
How to deal with the problem?
How to quickly stop severe diarrhea? We need to act quickly and comprehensively, and the most effective methods and tools will be discussed below.
If the mucous membranes of the intestinal walls are irritated and damaged, then any effect on them can further intensify peristalsis and aggravate the situation. And so you should create the most sparing conditions. Exclude from the menu all products containing coarse dietary fiber: fruits, berries, whole grains, vegetables. You can eat jelly, rice porridge or puddings, drying.
Drinking is better than tea without sugar. If this food also causes another episode of diarrhea, then give it up completely. Eat a fasting diet for at least a day, and then gradually start eating approved foods.
If the diarrhea is severe, ask someone from family members, relatives or friends to go to the pharmacy and buy a drug that will help solve your problem.
Usually with diarrhea the following remedies are prescribed:
- Probiotics.They contain useful bacteria that help to restore and normalize the intestinal microflora, thereby destroying pathogenic microorganisms and putting in order the functioning of the intestine. This group includes funds Lineks, Bifidumbacterin, Bifikol, Acipol, Bifiliz, Acilact, Bioflor and others.
- Antimicrobial drugs act purposefully and destroy bacteria that are infectious agents. This category includes Stopdiar, Ftalazol, Furazolidon, Enterofuril, Sulgin, Enterol, Tannakomp, Intetrix.
- Enterosorbents adsorb, that is, attract and remove from the intestine various harmful substances, for example, toxins, poisons, salts of heavy metals and so on. This group includes Polysorb, activated carbon, Smekta, Enterosgel, Polyphepan, Sorbek, and others.
- Drugs that slow down peristalsis of the intestinal walls and allow to increase the tone of the anal sphincter, as well as significantly reduce the urge to defecate. It is possible to mention such means as "Loperamide", "Diar", "Stoperan", "Lopedium", "Imodium" and others.But they all have a significant number of contraindications, so they are better taken only under the supervision of a specialist.
It is important: any medication should ideally be prescribed by the doctor after diagnosis and finding out the causes of diarrhea.
If there are no drugs at hand, and there is no way to go to the pharmacy, then use folk remedies:
- It helps with diarrhea rice water, and it can be given even to children. For cooking, rinse two tablespoons of rice in cold water. In a saucepan, boil the water, put croup in it and simmer for at least half an hour. Cool the broth, take every hour one or two tablespoons.
- If diarrhea in an adult, then you can use a decoction based on the berries of the bird cherry. Fruits need about half a glass, and first they need to be well washed. Then put them in a saucepan, cover with two glasses of boiling water and simmer for half an hour on a slow fire or water bath, and then insist for another hour. It should be taken in half a glass three or four times a day.
- Effective with diarrhea pomegranate peel. You will need skins from one fruit.They need to grind (for example, cut), pour 300 milliliters of water, bring to a boil and simmer for half an hour. Next, let the agent stand, strain it in an hour and take it over a tablespoon four times a day, until the stool finally normalizes.
- You can cook a decoction of oak bark, it has astringent and antibacterial properties, thanks to which it allows you to stop diarrhea. To get an effective remedy, you need to pour 1,5 tablespoons of raw material into 1.5 cups of boiling water. Then put the container on the fire and boil the composition for about 10 minutes, then strain it. This tool is taken in 60-80 ml three times a day. If the liquid stool was not more than eight hours, the treatment is terminated.
- At home, you can use blueberries, but certainly dried, as fresh can cause quite the opposite effect. You can simply use them separately for a small handful several times a day, and you can make an infusion, pour half a glass of berries with two cups of boiling water and letting the agent brew for an hour (you need to take two tablespoons three times a day).
- Chamomile decoction prepared from two tablespoons of raw materials and a glass of water has antiseptic properties.
A few recommendations:
- Remember that diarrhea is especially dangerous in a child, especially in a small one, because it can lead to dehydration (and it can be fatal). So, first of all, consult a doctor. And be sure to water your baby with water to eliminate its deficiency in the body. And to restore the water-salt balance, you can use "Regidron".
- If diarrhea is accompanied by symptoms such as fever, muscle pain or in the head, vomiting, blood in the stool, do not self-medicate. Immediately call an ambulance, because such acute conditions require urgent assistance.
- If you have started treatment, but it does not give any results, then you should go to a doctor as soon as possible. Probably the cause of diarrhea is not a banal poisoning, but a more serious problem that requires professional help.
- Even if you managed to solve the problem, you should not start eating in the usual way. To prevent recurrence of the symptom, follow a sparing diet, do not overload the digestive tract.
- Remember that even folk remedies may have contraindications, so before using them it is advisable to consult with your doctor.If this is not possible, then begin treatment with minimal doses and monitor the reaction of your body. If your condition worsens, stop taking it.
Treat diarrhea in time to avoid more serious problems.